Almost the entire coastline of Anglesey has been designated an "Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty". Set against the
dramatic backdrop of Snowdonia mountain range, runners will challenge themselves in some of the most awe inspiring
coastal scenery in the British Isles.
Here we have picked out some of the highlights of the course and the splendours that lay in store for our runners...
Holyhead Breakwater Country Park
Base camp (Start day 1 and Finish day 3) Holyhead, Isle of Anglesey, North Wales LL65 1YG
This is a beautiful historic site of over one hundred acres set against the backdrop of Holyhead Mountain and
offering fantastic views across the Irish Sea. The Holyhead Breakwater Country Park was opened in 1990 and is
situated on the site of an old quarry which supplied stone for the 1.5 mile (2.39km) Holyhead Breakwater, one
of the longest in Europe, which was built between 1846 and 1873.
Part of the park is situated within an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB).
Llanbadraig - The Church of St. Patrick
Situated in one of the most dramatic and scenic locations on Anglesey, this is probably the oldest Christian site
in all Wales dating back to 440 AD, not long after the Roman army departed British shores. Believed to be the
same Patrick who became the patron saint of Ireland, who ironically was a Welshman kidnapped by the Irish!
Base camp (end of day 1) Amlwch Leisure Centre, Townybryn, Amlwch, Isle of Anglesey LL68 9TH
In the 18th & 19th century the copper mines on Parys Mountain were the largest in the world, with
copper being exported to many countries from the small harbour at Amlwch Port. The need to export
the ore resulted in the development of the port from a small fishing harbour to a location for the
repair and eventual building of new ships.
Not only is there a prominent black and white stripped lighthouse to use as a landmark but also look out for Saint
Seiriol's 10th Century monastery and large dome roofed Dovecot dating back to 1600 which used to hold a thousand
Built by King Edward I in the 13th Century to keep the Welsh out! This would have been the most fortified castle
in Wales had they not run out of funds and finished it! Technically perfect and constructed according to an
ingenious 'walls within walls' plan.
Thomas Telford's Menai and Robert Stephenson's Britannia Bridges
The Menai Suspension bridge (Pont Menai), Opened in 1826. The world's first iron suspension bridge, it is 1,265
feet/305m long, with a central span of 579 feet/177m with its roadway set 98ft/30m above the water to allow tall
ships to pass beneath.
The Britannia Bridge (Pont Britannia). Opened in 1850. Is a magnificent prototype box-girder design by William Fairbairn
and Robert Stephenson. Originally built to carry rail traffic, this bridge was converted to a double-decked structure
following a catastrophic fire in 1970. It now carries both rail and road traffic.
Base camp (end of day 2) Aberffraw Village Hall, 52 Church Street, Aberffaw, Anglesey, LL63 5LQ
Aberffraw was, in historic times, considered to be a place of special significance and for centuries was the principal Llys (Palace)
of the Princes of Gwynedd, including Llewelyn the Great. Between the 7th and 13th centuries Aberffraw could be considered as the
'capital' of North Wales. At times much of Wales was ruled from here.
The village may hold dark secrets from the Victorian times. In 1889 a certain house, was the home of the father (a local postmaster
and chemist) of Doctor William Evans Thomas, who it is suggested may have been Jack the Ripper - he returned to Aberffraw from his
home in London, and was later found dead by his father, having consumed half a bottle of prussic acid. The verdict recorded was
'suicide whilst temporarily insane'.
Just imagine walking through sand dunes to discover miles of golden sand, framed to the left by the majestic mountains of Snowdonia
and the Lleyn Peninsula...
Located at the far end of the long Newborough beach, and cut off at high tide, Llanddwyn Island (Ynys Llanddwyn) is a magical place. The
name Llanddwyn means "The church of Saint Dwynwen".
Saint Dwynwen is the Welsh patron saint of lovers, celebrated on the 25th January.
Cable Bay's (Porth Trecastell) name originates from 1902 when a telegraph cable linked it to Ireland and then on to America. The
connection has long since been abandoned. On the northern headland of Cable Bay stands the Neolithic burial chamber - The Apron
of the Giantess (Barclodiad y Gawres), believed to be a fanciful reference to how the mound was formed.
South Stack Lighthouse
The South Stack lighthouse is built on Ynys Lawd, a small rocky island just off the edge of Holy Island. Take on the 400 steps if you dare!
What do people say about us?
"Thanks for a great weekend. Im sure you guys are feeling just a wrecked if not more as us runners are. It was a truly brutal challenge."
Past Ring O' Fire finisher